Our governing Board is responsible for agreeing the strategic direction of the Association.
It sets the Association’s values and standards and monitors the extent to which we are achieving our high level aims and ambitions. It is also responsible for ensuring we fulfil our legal responsibilities and meet the expectations of our Regulators including the Scottish Housing Regulator.
There are 12 places on our Board. Board members all give their time on a voluntary basis, receiving no payment with the exception of travel expenses and some subsistence for training events. They bring considerable knowledge and expertise from a variety of different backgrounds and receive full induction when elected and make a commitment to ongoing training and development. What are we looking for from new Board members? – see commitments here. See brief history here
Annually each Board member will receive an appraisal which will review the skills and knowledge they bring to the organisation as well as highlighting areas for continuous improvement.
Rena is awarded her British Empire Medal June 2015
** Vacancies for new Board Members **
Do you have an interest in our work and could spare a couple of hours every month? Then we would like to hear from you. Full training provided.
Please find all details below but if you require any further information get in touch with us at 0141 881 0638.
Our Board meets monthly and no less than ten times during the year. We have an Audit and also aPolicy Sub-Committee and ad hoc working groups to oversee specific operational activities of the Association including health and safety issues.
Our Governing Board Office Bearers following 2017’s AGM are:
Claire Boyd – Chairperson – Claire has been on BHA’s Board since 2001 and was chairperson for the period 2006-2011, and was re-elected chair in August 2016. She is a local resident of Neilston. She has been an active volunteer in her village for many years. She is a retired draughtsperson.
Rena McGuire BEM – Vice Chairperson – Rena has been on BHA’s Board since 2006. She was chairperson from 2011-2016. She is a local resident of Barrhead, and plays a key role in other local voluntary organisations including Dunterlie Tenants Action Group, Health and Social care integration; Barrhead Community Council and Public Partnership forum. She received her BEM in January 2015 for her long service to the community of East Renfrewshire.
Brian Connelly MBE – Secretary – Brian has been on BHA’s Board since 2002 and has been Secretary for the majority of those years. He is local resident of Barrhead and has worked for the community for over 20 years receiving his MBE in 2005. He is Chair of Auchenback Active, Auchenback Tenants and residents group and on the Board of TPAS. He is a retired civil engineer.
Other Board members are:
- Laura Hendry – is a local BHA tenant and has been a Board member since 1996. She is on the Board of Barrhead Community Council and volunteers in her local church. She is a retired care worker with the local authority.
- David McCready – is a local resident of Barrhead and a Board member since 2009. He is retired housing manager having worked for River Clyde Homes for many years with a wide range of experience from the housing association and local authority sectors.
- Michael Mukhtar – is a local resident and Director of a commercial business with its base in Barrhead. He has a BSc in electronic engineering and a MBA. He has been on the Board since 2011 and is committed to working within the community.
- Tommy Reilly – is a local resident of Barrhead and was our local SNP Councillor and co-optee from 2012-2017. He has now joined the Board as a full member. He is retired construction lecturer from Reid Kerr College, and does a range of local charity work within the area.
- John Hamilton – is a local resident of Neilston, president of the East Renfrewshire Chamber of Commerce, and a health and safety consultant. He has been on the Board since 2014 and is currently completing a governance course at Napier University.
- Drew McKinney – is a professional member who has worked within the area in the past and within the local authority sector, holds a LLB degree and Diploma in legal practice. He was elected to the Board in September 2015 and currently is employed by East Ayrshire CAB..
- Chris Baird – is a local resident of Barrhead and has been on the Board since September 2015. Chris is a Board member with Horizon HA with a focus on disability issues, he also volunteers with GCIL.
- Beth Welsh – was elected at the AGM on 24th August 2017. Beth works for the local credit union and has a background in housing association work having worked on development of new housing projects.
- Co-optee – Councillor Annette Ireland joined our Board in December 2017 following her election as SNP Councillor representing Clarkston, Netherlee and Stamperland in May 2017.
- We are always interested to hear from potential new Board members – contact our Chairperson or our Chief Executive for a chat.
- A Governing Board Summary handbook provides some further details, including a Code of Conduct which can be viewed – here. You can also view a number of Governing Board policies such as Board Members Expenses Policy; Entitlement, Payments and Benefits Policy for Governing Board members and staff Hospitality & Gifts Policy within the download section.