Other people who live with you and help to look after you

Is there someone who lives with you who helps to look after you? This may be because you have an illness, or disability, or just need help with everyday tasks, such as shopping, cooking, cleaning, help to get washed or dressed, or help to stay safe.

If someone, such as a family member, has moved in with you to help to care for you, then you need to let us know.

Recent changes to legislation mean that for a person to succeed to your tenancy in the event of your death, they must have notified the landlord that they live with you and following that notification they must have been living in your home for at least 12 months.

To succeed to your tenancy if you die after 1 November 2019, any person who is not your lawful spouse or civil partner must have lived in the property as their only or principal home for at least 12 months immediately prior to the tenant’s death.

The 12-month period only starts when we receive written notification from you that the other person is living in the property as their only or principal home. This is very important if someone else has given up their own home to care for you.

In order to avoid them having to move out in these circumstances it is important that you let staff here at Barrhead Housing Association know they are living with you. You can do this by;

Writing to us or calling into our office at:

60-70 Main Street


G78 1SB


Calling us on: 0141 881 0638

Emailing us on: enquiries@barrheadha.org (direct or via or website)

We will acknowledge receipt of your notification.


Advice is also available from the local carers centre:

East Renfrewshire Carers Centre

Rouken Glen Road

Eastwood Park


East Renfrewshire

G46 6UG

United Kingdom


0141 638 4888