June 4, 2020
Barrhead Housing Association (BHA) has been identified by the Scottish Government as a Community Anchor Organisation (CAO) for the distribution of Supporting Communities Funding to where funds are needed, through established East Renfrewshire-wide organisations, smaller, grassroots and newly formed community-based groups and organisations.
The funding is to ‘provide financial support in co-ordinating local responses to the pandemic within Renfrewshire’. On 18th March, the Scottish Government announced an investment of £350 million to support local communities and households in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. www.gov.scot/news/helping-communities-affected-by-covid-19
Supporting Communities Funding is part of this investment package to provide financial support through Community Anchor Organisations (CAOs), working in partnership within the community and with public services, to co-ordinate efforts in response to the pandemic.
Funding has already been distributed to a number of vital partner community support agencies already who are responding to the challenges created by Covid-19 in various ways, namely:
- Alzheimer Scotland are reaching out to people living with dementia in the community, and their family care givers, to provide one to one emotional support via phone calls and video chats using the Alzheimer Scotland Near Me and Attend Anywhere platforms.
- Strathclyde 4×4 Response are delivering and collecting prescriptions to those who aren’t able to, they are purchasing Broadnet Transceivers to enhance their communication capabilities. These two-way radios work across all the cellular networks, and provide private talkgroups which ensure that confidential messages can be passed between their controllers and responders.
- Include Me 2 are able to react and support our membership base of children, young people, adults and families who experience learning difficulties, by providing telephone support and the preparation and delivery of meals.
- Totnosh are preparing and delivering meals on a weekly basis to 42 residents of a Sheltered Housing Complex.
- Self-Directed Support Forum East Renfrewshire have purchased IT Equipment that will help provide Information, Support and Advice to individuals who have been assessed and require a care package from the Health and Social Care Partnership.
- Citizen Advice East Renfrewshire are identifying those who are struggling with fuel costs, and administering a fuel grant scheme to support those most in need and provide advice and support.
Barrhead Housing Association are actively looking to distribute further funding to support other local groups and initiatives that are providing vital support to our communities. Please contact email@example.com for further details or download the Supporting Communities Application Form and FAQS sheet here: